Dr KOON, Chun Alex 管進
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences (University of Massachusetts Medical School, USA)
- BSc in Biochemistry (Boston College, USA)
- Synaptic plasticity
- Neurodegenerative and neuromuscular diseases
- Developmental neurobiology
- Drosophila neurobiology
Dr. Koon graduated from the University of Massachusetts Medical School and obtained his PhD in Biomedical Sciences (concentration in Neuroscience) in 2011. He received his postdoctoral training at the University of Queensland (UQ) in Australia, and worked as a Research Assistant Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), which he acquired two successive GRFs in 2018 and 2019. In recent years, Dr. Koon has developed a strong interest in teaching, which prompted him to become a full-time lecturer at HKU in 2019.
- Zhang Q, An Y, Chen ZS, Koon AC, Lau KF, Ngo JCK, Chan HYE. (2019). A peptidylic inhibitor for neutralizing r(GGGGCC)exp-associated neurodegeneration in C9ORF72-associated amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia. Molecular Therapy - Nucleic Acids, 16:172-185.
- Chen ZS, Wong AKY, Cheng TC, Koon AC†, Chan HYE†. (2019). FipoQ/FBXO33, a Cullin-1 based ubiquitin ligase complex component modulates ubiquitination and solubility of polyglutamine disease protein. Journal of Neurochemistry, doi: 10.1111/jnc.14669.
- Hong H*, Koon AC*, Chen ZS, Wei Y, An Y, Li W, Lau MHY, Lau KF, Ngo JCK, Wong CH, Au-Yeung HY, Zimmerman SC, Chan HYE. (2019). AQAMAN, a bisamidine-based inhibitor of toxic protein inclusions in neurons, ameliorates cytotoxicity in polyglutamine disease models. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 294(8):2757-2770.
- Ngai SBC, Singh RG, Koon AC†. (2018). A discourse analysis of the macro-structure, metadiscoursal and microdiscoursal features in the abstracts of research articles across multiple science disciplines. PLOS One, 13(10):e0205417.
- Koon AC, Chen ZS, Peng S, Fung JMS, Zhang X, Lembke KM, Chow HK, Frank CA, Jiang L, Lau KF, Chan HYE. (2018). Drosophila Exo70 is essential for neurite extension and survival under thermal stress. Journal of Neuroscience, 38(37):8071-8086.
- Chen ZS, Li L, Peng S, Chen FM, Zhang Q, An Y, Lin X, Li W, Koon AC, Chan TF, Lau KF, Ngo JCK, Wong WT, Kwan KM, Chan HYE. (2018). Planar cell polarity gene Fuz triggers apoptosis in neurodegenerative diseases. EMBO Reports, 19(9). pii: e45409.
- Li W, Tam KMV, Chan WWR, Koon AC, Ngo JC, Chan HYE, Lau KF. (2018). Neuronal adaptor FE65 stimulates Rac1-mediated neurite outgrowth by recruiting and activating ELMO1. Journal of Biological Chemistry, pii: jbc.RA117.000505.
- Zhang Q, Chen Z, Hou Y, Li W, Lau KF, Koon AC, Ngo JC, Chan HY. (2018). A peptidylic inhibitor for neutralizing expanded CAG RNA-induced nucleolar stress in polyglutamine diseases. RNA, 24(4):486-498.
- Chiu WY*, Koon AC*, Ngo JC, Chan HY, Lau KF. (2017). GULP1/CED-6 ameliorates Amyloid-β toxicity in a Drosophila model of Alzheimer's disease. Oncotarget, 8(59):99274-99283.
- Qu Z, Bendena WG, Nong W, Siggens KW, Noriega FG, Kai ZP, Zang YY, Koon AC, Chan HYE, Chan TF, Chu KH, Lam HM, Akam M, Tobe SS, Hui JHL. (2017). MicroRNAs regulate the sesquiterpenoid hormonal pathway in Drosophila and other arthropods. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 284(1869). pii: 20171827.
- Koon AC, Chan HY. (2017). Drosophila melanogaster As a Model Organism to Study RNA Toxicity of Repeat Expansion-Associated Neurodegenerative and Neuromuscular Diseases. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 11:70.
- Li L, Ng KL, Koon AC, Chan HY. (2017). Expanded polyalanine tracts function as nuclear export signals and promote protein mislocalization via eEF1A1 factor. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 292(14):5784-5800.
- Koon AC, Budnik V. Inhibitory control of synaptic and behavioral plasticity by octopaminergic signaling. Journal of Neuroscience, 2012; 32(18):6312-22.
- Speese SD, Ashley J, Jokhi V, Nunnari J, Barria R, Li Y, Ataman B, Koon A, Chang YT, Li Q, Moore MJ, Budnik V. Nuclear Envelope Budding Enables Large Ribonucleoprotein Particle Export during Synaptic Wnt Signaling. Cell, 2012; 149(4):832-46.
- Koon AC, Ashley J, Barria R, DasGupta S, Brain R, Waddell S, Alkema M, Budnik V. Autoregulatory and paracrine control of synaptic and behavioral plasticity by octopaminergic signaling. Nature Neuroscience, 2011; 14(2):190-199.
- Lin Y, Bloodgood BL, Hauser JL, Lapan AD, Koon AC, Kim TK, Hu LS, Malik AN, Greenberg ME. Activity-dependent regulation of inhibitory synapse development by Npas4. Nature, 2008; 455(7217):1198-1204.
- Paradis S, Harrar DB, Lin Y, Koon AC, Hauser JL, Griffith EC, Zhu L, Brass LF, Chen C, Greenberg ME. An RNAi-based approach identifies molecules required for glutamatergic and GABAergic synapse development. Neuron, 2007; 53(2):217-232.
- Principal Investigator, RGC/GRF. 2019-2020. (Forfeited)
- Principal Investigator, RGC/GRF. 2018-2019.
Last update: July 20, 2019