Dr MA, Chun Wai 馬俊偉
- BSc (CUHK); MMedSc, PhD (HKU); DipABRSM, LLCM, LTCL (Lond); FHEA
- Optimising the effectiveness of biomedical science education
Dr Ma graduated with a BSc in Biochemistry (minor in Psychology) from The Chinese University of Hong Kong and MMedSc with distinction from The University of Hong Kong. He obtained his PhD in Physiology and received his postdoctoral training in the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine of The University of Hong Kong, where his research focused on developmental neuroscience. As a teacher and coordinator of human biology courses, Dr Ma contributed to Nursing Programmes organised by the Hong Kong Hospital Authority for nursing schools of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Tuen Mun Hospital, and Caritas Medical Centre, in collaboration with higher education institutions, including HKUSPACE, Hong Kong Institute of Education (now renamed The Education University of Hong Kong), Tung Wah College, and Caritas Bianchi College of Careers. Dr Ma is currently a Lecturer in the School of Biomedical Sciences of The University of Hong Kong.
The goal of Dr Ma's research is to develop curricula and learning activities that enhance the quality of biomedical science courses, thus facilitating productive and fulfilling learning. Systematic analysis of feedback from students is performed to identify key elements in the establishment of strategies that generate the best learning outcomes in preparing students for their roles as medical doctors, nurses, TCM practitioners, and other healthcare professionals. He participates in teaching development projects to promote physiology education with innovative technologies such as augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR). Through engagement in scientific research (e.g. as the co-PI of a small neuroendocrinology research project supported by the Elaine GCF Tso Memorial Fund of The University of Hong Kong), Dr Ma has been instilling scientific thinking process into teaching.
- Ma CW, Kwan PY, Wu KL, Shum DK, Chan YS (2019) Regulatory roles of perineuronal nets and semaphorin 3A in the postnatal maturation of the central vestibular circuitry for graviceptive reflex. Brain Struct Funct 224:613-626.
- Lai CH*, Ma CW*, Lai SK, Han L, Wong HM, Yeung KW, Shum DK, Chan YS (2016) Maturation of glutamatergic transmission in the vestibulo-olivary pathway impacts on the registration of head rotational signals in the brainstem of rats. Brain Struct Funct 221:217-238.
- Bambach N, Bilicki M, Böttger M, Cao B, Charan K, Dinkins C, Elsanadidy E, Fischer JM, Gopinath SD, Govindaraghavan M, Konstantinides N, Ma CW, Mainou BA, Mitchell M, Neef L, Persson MV, Ruy N, Ryan T, Schwartz K, Spear P, Stewart MP, Thompson-Peer KL, Zupanc J (2015) NextGenVOICES. Science 349:24-27.
- Ma CW, Lai CH, De Nogueira Botelho FP, Shum DK, Chan YS (2014) Development of neural correlates of linear motion in the rat vestibular nucleus. Acta Physiologica Sinica 66:37-46.
- Li C, Han L, Ma CW, Lai SK, Lai CH, Shum DK, Chan YS (2013) Maturation profile of inferior olivary neurons expressing ionotropic glutamate receptors in rats: role in coding linear accelerations. Brain Struct Funct 218:833-850.
- Ma CW, Lai CH, Chow BK, Shum DK, Chan YS (2013) Topography of inferior olivary neurons that encode canal and otolith inputs. Cerebellum 12:322-324.
- Ma CW, Zhang FX, Lai CH, Lai SK, Yung KK, Shum DK, Chan YS (2013) Postnatal expression of TrkB receptor in rat vestibular nuclear neurons responsive to horizontal and vertical linear accelerations. J Comp Neurol 521:612-625.
- Anderson SM, Arthur PK, Baclig MO, Coady K, Dargusch P, de Lisle SP, de Mattos EP, Goel A, Griss R, Halder A, Lah L, Ma CW, Marasini BP, Phillips E, Tan B, Varga M, Walker J (2012) NextGenVOICES. Science 338:40-43.
- Ma CW, Lai CH, Lai SK, Tse YC, Yung KK, Shum DK, Chan YS (2010) Developmental distribution of vestibular nuclear neurons responsive to different speeds of horizontal translation. Brain Res 1326:62-67.
- Lai SK, Lai CH, Zhang FX, Ma CW, Shum DK, Chan YS (2008) Neuronal plasticity of otolith-related vestibular system. Acta Academiae Medicinae Sinicae 30:741-746.
- Teaching Development Grant (HKU): “Use of augmented reality to optimize the effectiveness of biomedical education”, as Principal Investigator (2017)
- Elaine GCF Tso Memorial Fund (HKU): "PACAP in the circulation contributes to learning and memory", as co-Principal Investigator (2016)
- Travel Award, 37th Congress of the International Union of Physiological Sciences (2013)
- Travel Award, 35th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society (2012)
- Travel Grant, World Congress of the International Brain Research Organization (2011)
- Sun Chieh Yeh Young Investigator Award, 4th International Symposium on Healthy Aging, The University of Hong Kong (2009)
- Travel Grant, 3rd Symposium of the Federation of Asian and Oceanian Neuroscience Societies (2008)
- Travel Award, 30th Annual Meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society (2007)
- Young Investigator Award, 2nd International Symposium on Healthy Aging, The University of Hong Kong (2007)
- Hedy King Robinson Prize for Theory of Music, Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (UK) (2004)
- Dean’s Honors List, Faculty of Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2004)
- Dr. Tong Tai-ping Memorial Scholarship, Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2004)
- Laird Memorial Scholarship, Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2003)
- Certificate of Merit, Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2003)
- Silver Medal; Potential Hong Kong Representative, Hong Kong Olympiad in Informatics (1998)
Last update: January 23, 2020