Neuromodulation and neuropsychopharmacology research in neurological and psychiatric diseases.
- Neuromodulation: Deep brain stimulation, transcorneal electrical stimulation, transcutaneous electrical stimulation, optogenetic stimulation, and transcranial direct current stimulation.
- Neuropharmacology: Melatonin, SSRIs, Hericium erinaceus, and Ganoderma lucidum.
- Disease models: Aging, Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety and depression, retina degenerative disease, ataxia, and epigenetic models.
- MD (Medicine), Crimean State Medical University.
- Master (Affective Neuroscience), Maastricht University & Florence University.
- PhD (Neuroscience), Maastricht University.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Maastricht University & University of Oxford.
- Lee Kuan Yew Research Fellow (PI), Nanyang Technological University. (2011-2014)
- Associate Professor, Sunway University. (2014–present)
- Assistant Professor, the University of Hong Kong. (2015–present)
Dr. Lim’s research is focused on basic and translational neurosciences looking at existing neuromodulatory and neuropharmacological treatments for neurodegenerative and psychiatric disorders. More specifically, his interests are directed towards understanding the neural basis of mood and anxiety disorders, as well as neurodegenerative diseases, particularly Alzheimer’s disease and other aging-related cognitive disorders. His research encompasses different interrelated methodologies including cellular and molecular techniques, electrophysiology, behavioral and neurochemical methods, which together provide a multidisciplinary approach to understanding how neurostimulation interfaces with brain networks via controlling neuronal activity and the microcellular environment.
We are seeking several highly motivated undergraduate and master/PhD students to work on neuromodulation and neuropsychopharmacology research in experimental animal models of neuropsychiatric diseases. For postgraduate study, applicants must hold a degree of bachelor with First-Class Honours and/or a master with relevant background in biomedical sciences. Successful candidates will receive funding for tuition fees and stipend. To apply, please submit your resume to Dr Lim LW (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more details of postgraduate studies, please see the following webpage.
# Corresponding author
- SZK Tan, CH Poon, YS Chan, LW LIM#. (2021) Prelimbic cortical stimulation disrupts fear memory consolidation through ventral hippocampal dopamine 2 receptors. Br. J. Pharmacol. (IF: 7.7; Rank: #9/271 (97%) in Pharmacology & Pharmacy) (In press)
- MF Hossain, N Wang, R Chen, J Roy, MG Uddin, Z Li, LW LIM#, YQ Song#. (2021) Exploring the multifunctional role of melatonin in regulating autophagy and sleep to mitigate Alzheimer’s disease neuropathology. Ageing Res. Rev. 67:101304. (IF: 10.6; Rank: #1/51 (99%) in Geriatrics & Gerontology)
- CH Poon, YS Chan, ML Fung, LW LIM#. (2020) Memory and neuromodulation: a perspective of DNA methylation. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 111:57-68. (IF: 8.3; Rank: #3/53 (95%) in Behavioural Sciences)
- S Khairuddin, L Aquili, BC Heng, TLC Hoo, KH Wong, LW LIM#. (2020) Dysregulation of the orexinergic system: A potential neuropeptide target in depression. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 111:57-68. (IF: 8.3; Rank: #3/53 (95%) in Behavioural Sciences)
- SZK Tan, J Neoh, A Lawrence, EX Wu, LW LIM#. (2020) Prelimbic cortical stimulation improves spatial memory through distinct patterns of hippocampal gene expression in aged rats. Neurotherapeutics 17:2054–2068. (IF: 6; Rank: #18/271 (94%) in Pharmacology & Pharmacy)
- SZK Tan, LW LIM#. (2020) A practical approach to the ethical use of memory modulating technologies. BMC Med. Ethics. 21(1):89. (IF: 2.5; Rank: 2/16 (91%) in Medical Ethics)
- A Liu, N Jain, A Vyas, LW LIM#. (2015) Ventromedial prefrontal cortex stimulation enhances memory and hippocampal neurogenesis in the middle-aged rats. eLife 4:e04803.
Media Coverage: The Straits Times, Channel News Asia, TODAY, Xinhua News, UK Daily Mail, The Scotsman, The Times of India, Economics Times India, UK Mirror, Haberlar, Bernama, Berita RTM, Dublin News, Finanznachrichten, Science Daily, Jakarta Post, Cihan, Newsen, News Medical, Yahoo News, dpa-AFX International Compact, Asia News Network, Asian Scientist, Guang Ming Daily, Sin Chew Daily, etc (> 110 media)
- LW LIM#, J Prickaerts, G Huguet, E Kadar, H Hartung, T Sharp, Y Temel. (2015) Electrical stimulation alleviates depressive-like behaviors of rats: Investigation of brain targets and potential mechanisms. Transl. Psychiatry. 5:e535.
Media Coverage: UK Life Sciences Index, Antara News, Yahoo News, Asia Fresh News, Guang Ming Daily, Sin Chew Daily, Malaysia Business News, Korean Yonhap News, One News Page, De Telegraaf, NU.NL, MyMetro, etc (> 40 media)
- EP-Nuffic DELTA II Award (2005);
- Marie Curie Fellowship (2007);
- Kootstra PDF Top-Talent Fellowship (2009);
- CSMU Faculty List of Outstanding Alumni (2009);
- Lee Kuan Yew PDF Fellowship (2011);
- Ten Outstanding Young Malaysian Award (2015);
- “Ten Malaysian Scientists Whose Research is making the World a Better Place”, SAYS (2015);
- APSN Young Investigator Award (2016);
- Gold, Platinum, and Most Outstanding Academician Awards, Penang International Invention, Innovation and Design (2019);
- Gold Award, Melaka International Intellectual Exposition (2019);
- Gold Award, Malaysia Technology Expo 2020;
- International Award of Merit, Malaysia-Croatia Technology Exchange 2020; and
- Gold Award, 11th Creation, Innovation, Technology & Research Exposition (2021).