- Functional genomics for translational cancer medicine
- Drug Sensitivity and Resistance Mechanisms
- Cancer biology
- Instructor, Department of Systems Biology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Systems Biology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA
- Ph.D., The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Visiting Scholar, University of British Columbia, Canada
- B.Sc., The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Cancer cells develop
The overall goal of the laboratory is to identify and characterize potential molecular targets for genome-informed precision cancer medicine. Using multidisciplinary algorithms including genomics, proteomics, biochemical and pharmacological approaches, our laboratory is dedicated to: 1) identify driver aberrations that promote tumorigenesis; 2) understand the signaling cascades downstream of the aberrations to identify potential therapeutic approaches; 3) determine the therapeutic vulnerability engendered by the aberrations; and 4) develop markers predictive of responses to therapeutic agents targeting these aberrations.
# Corresponding author
- Li X, Mak VC, Zhou Y, Wang C, Wong ES, Sharma R, Lu Y, Cheung AN, Mills GB
andCheung LW#. Deregulated Gab2 phosphorylation mediates aberrant AKT and STAT3 signaling upon PIK3R1 loss in ovarian cancer. Nature Communications 2019 In press.
- Ng PK, Li J, Jeong KJ, Shao S, Chen H, Tsang YH, Sengupta S, Wang Z, Bhavana VH, Tran R, Soewito S, Minussi DC, Moreno D, Kong K, Dogruluk T, Lu H, Gao J, Tokheim C, Zhou DC, Zeng J, Ip CK, Ju Z, Wester M, Yu S, Li Y, Vellano C, Schultz N, Karchin R, Ding L, Lu Y, Cheung LW, Chen K, Shaw KR, Meric-Bernstam F, Scott KL, Yi S, Sahni N, Liang
H andMills GB. Systematic Functional Annotation of Somatic Mutations in Cancer. Cancer Cell 2018; 33:450-62.
- Takiar V, Ip CK, Gao M, Mills GB and Cheung LW#. Neomorphic mutations create therapeutic challenges in cancer. Oncogene 2017;36:1607-18.
- Cheung LW# and Mills GB. Targeting therapeutic liabilities engendered by PIK3R1 mutations for cancer treatment. Pharmacogenomics 2016;17(3).
- Han L, Diao L, Yu S, Xu X, Li J, Zhang R, Yang Y, Werner HM, Eterovic AK, Yuan Y, Li J, Nair N, Minelli R, Tsang YH, Cheung LW, Jeong KJ, Roszik J, Ju Z, Woodman SE, Lu Y, Scott KL, Li JB, Mills GB and Liang H. The Genomic Landscape and Clinical Relevance of A-to-I RNA Editing in Human Cancers. Cancer Cell 2015;28(4):515-28.
- Cheung LW, Walkiewicz KW, Besong TM, Guo H, Hawke DH, Arold ST and Mills GB. Regulation of the PI3K Pathway through a p85a Monomer-Homodimer Equilibrium. eLife 2015; 4:e06866. ▪
▪ Featured in Editors’ Choice in Science Signaling 2015; 8(389) ec224
- Cheung LW#, Yu S, Zhang D, Li J, Ng PK, Panupinthu N, Mitra S, Ju Z, Yu Q, Liang H, Hawke DH, Lu Y, Broaddus RR, and Mills GB. A recurrent neomorphic p85α mutant activates the MAPK pathway dictating
therapeuticresponse to MAPK pathway inhibitors. Cancer Cell 2014; 26:479-94.
▪ Featured in Preview in Cancer Cell 2014; 26(4): 445–447.
▪ Research Watch in Cancer Discovery 2014 December 4
▪ Editors’ Choice in Science Signaling 2014; 7(349) ec306.
▪ Research Highlight in Nature Review Cancer 2014;14, 766–767.
▪ Recommended by Faculty of 1000prime.
- Cheung LW, Mak AS, Yung S, Chan TM, Leung PC and Wong AS. Targeting gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor inhibits the early step of ovarian cancer metastasis by modulating tumor-mesothelial adhesion. Molecular Therapy 2013; 21:78-90.
- Liang H*, Cheung LW*, Li J, Ju Z, Yu S, Stemke-Hale K, Dogruluk T, Lu Y, Liu X, Gu C, Guo W, Scherer SE, Carter H, Westin SN, Dyer MD, Verhaak RG, Zhang F, Karchin R, Liu CG, Lu KH, Broaddus RR, Scott KL, Hennessy BT, Mills GB. Whole-exome sequencing combined with functional genomics reveals novel candidate driver cancer genes in endometrial cancer. Genome Research 2012; 22:2120-9.
* Equal contribution
- Cheung LW#, Hennessy BT, Li J, Yu S, Myers AP, Djordjevic B, Lu Y, Stemke-Hale K, Dyer MD, Zhang F, Ju
Z ,Cantley LC, Scherer SE, Liang H, Lu KH, Broaddus RR, and Mills GB. High frequency of PIK3R1 and PIK3R2 mutations in endometrial cancer elucidates a novel mechanism for regulation of PTEN protein stability. Cancer Discovery 2011, 1:170-85.
▪ Featured article with commentary
▪ Most highly cited Cancer Discovery articles in 2011
RGC General Research Fund 2018 (PI)
NSFC Science Fund for Young Scholars 2017 (PI)
RGC - Early Career Scheme 2016 (PI)
- Scholar Award for outstanding translational cancer research, The US Chinese Anti-Cancer Association (USCACA) and the Asian Fund for Cancer Research (AFCR) (2017)
- Travel Award, Early Career Researcher Workshop: Big data at the heart of 21st Century Research, Universitas 21 (2016)
- Women in Cancer Research Scholar Award, American Association for Cancer Research (2015)
- Uterine SPORE (Special Program of Research Excellence) Career Development Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center & National Cancer Institute (2014-2015)
- Computational Cancer Biology Training Grant, Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (2012-2014)
- Citation of Excellence Award (3rd Annual Research Award), Division of Cancer Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2013)
- AMGEN Award in Basic Science Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2013)
- AMGEN Award in Basic Science Research, MD Anderson Cancer Center (2011)
- Mills GB, Lu Y, Liang H
andCheung LW. Invention title: Efficient functional genomics platform.
- Cancer Translational Medicine (2016-2018)
- Current Cancer Drug Targets (2019- )