- Targeting cancer stemness for drug development in liver cancer
- Investigating novel treatment strategies to overcome resilience of cancer cells to conventional therapy
- B.Sc., The University of Hong Kong (2007-2010)
- Ph.D., The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2010-2014)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2015-2019)
Our research focuses on investigating critical factors and signaling pathways which contribute to tumor initiation, recurrence and drug resistance in tumor-initiating cells driven liver cancer. We are actively exploring and investigating targets and drugs that could be developed as a more effective cancer treatment using a combination of pre-clinical animal models and patient-derived organoids.
- Leung CO*, Tong M*, Chung KP, Zhou L, Che N, Tang KH, Ding J, Lau EY, Ng IO, Ma S, Lee TK. Overriding adaptive resistance to sorafenib via combination therapy with SHP2 blockade in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2019. Epub ahead of print.
- Luk ST, Ng KY, Zhou L, Tong M, Wong TL, Yu HJ, Lo CM, Man K, Guan XY, Lee TK, Ma S. Deficiency in embryonic stem cell marker REX1 activates MKK6-dependent p38 MAPK signaling to drive hepatocarcinogenesis. Hepatology 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Tong M, Che N, Zhou L, Luk ST, Kau PW, Chai S, Ngan ES, Lo CM, Man K, Ding J, Lee TK, Ma S. Efficacy of annexin A3 blockade in sensitizing hepatocellular carcinoma to sorafenib and regorafenib. J Hepatol 2018; 69:826-39.
- Ng KY, Chan LH, Chai S, Tong M, Guan XY, Lee NP, Yuan YF, Xie D, Lee TK, Dusetti NJ, Carrier A, Ma S. TP53INP1 down-regulation activates a p73-dependent DUSP10/ERK signaling pathway to promote metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res 2017; 77:4602-12.
- Chai S, Ng KY, Tong M, Lau EY, Lee TK, Chan KW, Yuan YF, Cheung TT, Cheung ST, Wang XQ, Wong N, Lo CM, Man K, Guan XY, Ma S. Octamer4/microRNA-1246 signaling axis drives Wnt/beta-catenin activation in liver cancer stem cells. Hepatology 2016; 64:2062-76.
- Tong M, Fung TM, Luk ST, Ng KY, Lee TK, Lin CH, Yam JW, Chan KW, Ng F, Zheng BJ, Yuan YF, Xie D, Lo CM, Man K, Guan XY, Ma S. ANXA3/JNK signaling promotes self-renewal and tumor growth and its blockade provides a therapeutic target for hepatocellular carcinoma. Stem Cell Reports 2015; 5:45-59.
- Tong M, Chan KW, Bao JY, Wong KY, Chen JN, Kwan PS, Tang KH, Chan YP, Fu L, Qin YR, Lok S, Guan XY, Ma S. Rab25 is a tumor suppressor gene with anti-angiogenic and anti-invasive activities in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 2012; 72: 6024-35.
- Tong M*, Ma S*, Guan XY. Biology of hepatic cancer stem cells. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26:1229-37.
- HMRF 2017 (PA)
- HMRF 2018 (PA)
- NSFC General Program 2016 (Co-I)
- NSFC General Program 2018 (Co-I)
- Young Investigator Award, 19th Hong Kong International Cancer Congress (2012)
- 4th Asia-Pacific Primary Liver Cancer Expert Meeting Travel Award, South Korea (2013)
- 9th Chinese Youth Science and Technology Innovation Award 第九届中国青少年科技创新奖获 (2014)
- Ma S, Tong M, Guan XY. Use of annexin A3 as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target for treating hepatocellular carcinoma. US Patent No: US 9,487,831 B2. Patent granted on 8 Nov 2016.
- Ma S, Tong M, Guan XY. Use of annexin A3 as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target for treating hepatocellular carcinoma. Divisional Patent. US Patent No: 10,000,588 B2. Patent granted on 19 June 2018.
Last updated: October 29, 2019