- New drug development and combination therapy for cancer treatment
- Resistance mechanism to cancer therapy
- Metabolic aberrations in cancer
- Cancer stemness
- B.Sc., The University of Hong Kong (2007-2010)
- Ph.D., The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2010-2014)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2015-2019)
Our research focuses on investigating critical factors and signaling pathways which contribute to tumor initiation, recurrence and drug resistance in tumor-initiating cells driven liver cancer. We are actively exploring and investigating targets and drugs that could be developed as a more effective cancer treatment using a combination of pre-clinical animal models and patient-derived organoids.
^ Corresponding author
# Equal contribution
1. Tong M^, Wong TL, Zhao H, Zhang Y, Xie YN, Li CH, Zhou L, Che N, Yun JP, Man K, Lee TK, Cai Z^, Ma S^. Loss of tyrosine catabolic enzyme 4-hydroxyphenylpyruvate dioxygenase HPD promotes glutamine anaplerosis through mTOR signaling in liver cancer. Cell Rep 2021; 36:109617.
2. Leung HW#, Leung CO#, Lau EY, Chung KP, Mok EH, Lei MM, Leung RW, Tong M, Keng VW, Ma C, Zhao Q, Ng IO, Ma S, Lee TK. EPHB2 activates β-catenin to enhance cancer stem cell properties and drive sorafenib resistance in hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res 2021; 81:3229-40.
3. Loong JH, Wong TL, Tong M, Sharma R, Zhou L, Ng KY, Yu HJ, Li CH, Man K, Lo CM, Guan XY, Lee TK, Yun JP, Ma S. Glucose deprivation induced aberrant FUT1-mediated fucosylation drives cancer stemness in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Invest 2021; 131:143377.
4. Ng KY, Shea QT, Wong TL, Luk ST, Tong M, Lo CM, Man K, Yun JP, Guan XY, Lee TK, Zheng YP, Ma S. Chemotherapy enriched THBS2-deficient cancer stem cells drive hepatocarcinogenesis through matrix softness induced histone H3 modifications. Adv Sci 2021; 8:2002483.
5. Che N#, Ng KY#, Wong TL, Tong M, Kau PW, Chan LH, Lee TK, Huen MS, Yun JP, Ma S. PRMT6 deficiency induces autophagy in hostile microenvironments of hepatocellular carcinoma tumors by regulating BAG5-associated HSC70 stability. Cancer Lett 2021; 501:247-62
6. Leung CO#, Tong M#, Chung KP, Zhou L, Che N, Tang KH, Ding J, Lau EY, Ng IO, Ma S, Lee TK. Overriding adaptive resistance of sorafenib through combination therapy with SHP2 blockade in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2020; 72:155-68.
7. Luk ST, Ng KY, Zhou L, Tong M, Wong TL, Yu HJ, Lo CM, Man K, Guan XY, Lee TK, Ma S^. Deficiency in embryonic stem cell marker REX1 activates MKK6-dependent p38 MAPK signaling to drive hepatocarcinogenesis. Hepatology 2020; 72:183-97.
8. Tong M, Che N, Zhou L, Luk ST, Kau PW, Chai S, Ngan ES, Lo CM, Man K, Ding J, Lee TK, Ma S. Efficacy of annexin A3 blockade in sensitizing hepatocellular carcinoma to sorafenib and regorafenib. J Hepatol 2018; 69:826-39.
9. Lau MC#, Ng KY#, Wong TL, Tong M, Lee TK, Ming XY, Law S, Lee NP, Cheung AL, Qin YR, Chan KW, Ning W, Guan XY, Ma S. FSTL1 promotes metastasis and chemoresistance in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma through NFκB-BMP signaling crosstalk. Cancer Res 2017; 77:5886-99.
10. Ng KY, Chan LH, Chai S, Tong M, Guan XY, Lee NP, Yuan YF, Xie D, Lee TK, Dusetti NJ, Carrier A, Ma S. TP53INP1 down-regulation activates a p73-dependent DUSP10/ERK signaling pathway to promote metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Res 2017; 77:4602-12.
11. Tong M, Fung TM, Luk ST, Ng KY, Lee TK, Lin CH, Yam JW, Chan KW, Ng F, Zheng BJ, Yuan YF, Xie D, Lo CM, Man K, Guan XY, Ma S. ANXA3/JNK signaling promotes self-renewal and tumor growth and its blockade provides a therapeutic target for hepatocellular carcinoma. Stem Cell Reports 2015; 5:45-59.
12. Chai S#, Tong M#, Ng KY#, Kwan PS, Chan YP, Fung TM, Lee TK, Wong N, Xie D, Yuan YF, Guan XY, Ma S^. Regulatory role of miR-142-3p on the functional hepatic cancer stem cell marker CD133. Oncotarget 2014; 5:5725-35.
13. Tong M, Chan KW, Bao JY, Wong KY, Chen JN, Kwan PS, Tang KH, Fu L, Qin YR, Lok S, Guan XY, Ma S. Rab25 is a tumor suppressor gene with anti-angiogenic and anti-invasive activities in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 2012; 72:6024-35.
14. Tong CM#, Ma S#, Guan XY. Biology of hepatic cancer stem cells. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011; 26:1229-37. (Invited review)
- NFSC Young Scientists Fund 2020 (PI)
- RGC GRF 2021/2022 (PI)
- HMRF 2019 (PI)
- HMRF 2017 (PI)
- HMRF 2016 (PI)
- NSFC General Program 2018 (Co-I)
- NSFC General Program 2016 (Co-I)
- Young Investigator Award, 19th Hong Kong International Cancer Congress (2012)
- 4th Asia-Pacific Primary Liver Cancer Expert Meeting Travel Award, South Korea (2013)
- 9th Chinese Youth Science and Technology Innovation Award 第九届中国青少年科技创新奖获 (2014)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Clinical and Translational Hepatology
- Ma S, Tong M, Guan XY. Use of annexin A3 as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target for treating hepatocellular carcinoma. US Patent No: US 9,487,831 B2. Patent granted on 8 Nov 2016.
- Ma S, Tong M, Guan XY. Use of annexin A3 as a diagnostic and prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target for treating hepatocellular carcinoma. Divisional Patent. US Patent No: 10,000,588 B2. Patent granted on 19 June 2018.
Last updated: August 26, 2021