- Synaptic plasticity in learning and memory
Dr. Cora Lai is currently an Assistant Professor in the School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Hong Kong. She obtained her bachelor and doctoral degrees at HKU. In 2009, she joined the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine in the Langone NYU Medical Center (New York, USA) for postdoctoral training. At NYU, she worked on intravital imaging of the mouse central nervous system in learning and memory, particularly in studying synaptic plasticity in fear associative learning.
One of the major goals of neuroscience is to understand how the brain integrates, processes and stores a wide range of information to modify behaviour. The ability to associate different information and environmental stimuli is one of the key factors for associative learning. However, it is still unclear how neural circuits integrate convergence signals during learning. Auditory fear conditioning is an associative learning that can serve as an ideal model to study the basic mechanisms of associative learning at the behavioural, circuitry and molecular levels.
We will use in vivo imaging, optogentics, genetic manipulations, and behavioural approaches to understand synaptic plasticity, neural circuits, and molecular signalling pathways in emotional learning, which will provide insight to help us to better understand the aetiology and therapeutic interventions development for psychiatric disorders such as depression, schizophrenia, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and autism spectrum disorders.
- Zhao, J.#, Fok, A.H.K.#, Fan, R., Kwan, P.Y., Chan, H.L., Lo, L.H.Y., Chan, Y.S., Yung W.H., Huang, J., Lai, C.S.W.* and Lai, K.O.* (2020) Specific depletion of the motor protein KIF5B leads to deficits in dendritic transport, synaptic plasticity and memory. (#Equal contribution. *Co-Corresponding authors.) eLife. DOI:10.7554/eLife.53456.
- Lin, L., Lyu, Q., Kwan, P.Y., Zhao, J., Fan, R., Chai, A., Lai, C.S.W., Chan, Y.S., Shen, X., Lai, K.O. (2020) The epilepsy and intellectual disability-associated protein TBC1D24 regulates the maintenance of excitatory synapses and animal behaviors. PLOS Genetics. 16(1):e1008587. DOI:10.1371/journal.pgen.1008587
- Huser, T., Kong, C., Pilger, C., Hachmeister, H., Wei, X., Cheung, T., Lai, C.S.W., Lee, N. Tsia, K., Wong, K.K.Y. (2020) High contrast, fast chemical imaging by coherent Raman scattering using a self-synchronized two-color fiber laser. Light: Science & Applications. In Press.
- Chen, K., Zheng, Y., Wei, J., Ouyang, H., Huang, X., Zhang, F., Lai, C.S.W., Ren, C., So, K.-F., Zhang, L. (2019) Exercise training improves motor skill learning via selective activation of mTOR. Science Advances. 5: eaaw1888.
- Ng, L.H.L., Huang, Y., Han, L., Chang, R.C.C., Chan, Y.S., Lai, C.S.W. (2018) Ketamine and selective activation of parvalbumin interneurons inhibit stress-induced dendritic spine elimination. Translational Psychiatry. 8, Article number: 272
- Lai, C.S.W.*, Adler, A., Gan, W-B.* (2018) Fear extinction reverses dendritic spine formation induced by fear conditioning in the mouse auditory cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 115(37):9306-9311. *Correspondence author.
- Shi, D.D., Huang, Y.H., Lai, C.S.W., Dong, C.M., Ho, L.C., Wu, E.X., Li, Q., Wang, X.M., Chung, S.K., Sham, P.C., Zhang, Z.J. (2018) Chemotherapy-Induced Cognitive Impairment Is Associated with Cytokine Dysregulation and Disruptions in Neuroplasticity. Molecular Neurobiology https://doi.org/10.1007/s12035-018-1224-4
- Kong, C., Pilger, C., Hachmeister, H., Wei, X., Cheung, T.H., Lai, C.S.W., Huser, T., Tsia, K.K., Wong, K.K.Y. (2017) Compact fs ytterbium fiber laser at 1010 nm for biomedical applications. Biomed. Opt. Express. 8(11):4921-4932.
- Chen, K., Zhang, L., Tan, M., Lai, C.S.W., Li, A., Ren, C., So, K.-F. (2016) Treadmill exercise suppressed stress-induced dendritic spine elimination in mouse barrel cortex and improved working memory via BDNF/TrkB pathway. Translational Psychiatry. 7(3):e1069.
- Lai, C.S.W. (2015) Intravital imaging of dendritic spine plasticity. IntraVital. DOI:10.4161/21659087.2014.984504.
- Yang, G., Lai, C.S.W., Cichon, J., Ma, L., Li, W., Gan, W.-B. (2014) Sleep promotes branch-specific formation of dendritic spines after learning. Science. 344 (6188): 1173-1178.
- Fénelon, K., Xu, B.#, Lai, C.S.W.#, Mukai, J.#, Markx, S.#, Stark, K.L., Hsu, P.K., Gan, W.B., Fischbach, G.D., MacDermott, A.B., Karayiorgou, M., Gogos, J.A. (2013) The Pattern of Cortical Dysfunction in a Mouse Model of a Schizophrenia-Related Microdeletion. Journal of Neuroscience. 33:14825-14839. #Equal contribution.
- Lai, C.S.W., Franke, T.F., Gan, W.-B. (2012) Opposite effects of fear conditioning and extinction on dendritic spines remodelling. Nature. 483: 87-91. (F1000 Prime)
- Lai, C.S.W. (2014) Intravital imaging of mouse central nervous system in learning and memory. The Croucher Foundation Symposium: Advances in live cell and intravital imaging in biomedicine. HKU, Hong Kong.
- Lai, C.S.W. (2013) Opposite effects of fear conditioning and extinction on dendritic spines remodelling. Minisymposium in Structural Synaptic Plasticity: Emerging Breakthroughs and Relationship to Disease. Soc. Neurosci. 43rd Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Lai, C.S.W., Franke, T.F., Gan, W.-B. (2012) Opposite effects of fear conditioning and extinction on dendritic spines remodelling. Neuronal Circuits Meeting, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, USA.
- Lai, C.S.W., Franke, T.F., Gan, W.-B. (2012) Opposite effects of fear conditioning and extinction on dendritic spines remodelling. Neural Circuit Basis Of Behavior & Its Disorders, Cold Spring Harbor Asia Conference, Suzhou, China.
- RGC/ECS (2015-2020)
- NSFC-General program (2015-2019)
- HMRF (2016-2018)
- RGC/GRF (2017-2019)
Last updated: February 4, 2020