Dr HUEN, Michael Shing Yan 禤承恩
- BSc, MPhil (HKUST); PhD (HKU)
- Associate Professor
- Assistant Dean (Innovation and Technology), Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Minnesota, USA (2006)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University, Connecticut, USA (2006-2009)
Our genetic material (a.k.a. DNA) is susceptible to damage. The ability to repair damaged DNA underlies genome stability maintenance, and is key to cell proliferation and animal development. Indeed, failing to launch DNA repair in the right place at the right time compromises genome stability, and is causally associated with a cohort of human diseases, including cancer and developmental deficits.
In my laboratory, we are interested in the molecular bases that drive prompt detection and faithful repair of damaged DNA. We also strive to explore the intimate relationships of defective DNA damage responses and the many genetic disorders associated with genome instability.
- DNA Damage Detection and Repair Control
- Chen Y, Li J, Cao F, Lam J, Cheng CC, Yu CH, Huen MS. Nucleolar residence of the Seckel Syndrome protein TRAIP is coupled to ribosomal DNA transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 2018; 46(19): 10119-10131.
- An L, Dong C, Li J, Chen J, Yuan J, Huang J, Chan KM, Yu CH, Huen MS. RNF169 limits 53BP1 deposition at DSBs to stimulate single-strand annealing repair. PNAS 2018; 115(35): E8286-8295.
- An L, Jiang Y, Ng HH, Man EP, Chen J, Khoo US, Gong Q, Huen MS. Dual-utility NLS drives RNF169-dependent DNA damage responses. PNAS 2017; 114(4): E2872-2881. (Recommended by F1000Prime; Highlighted in Science Signaling – NLS protects DNA damage protein)
- Guo Y, An L, Ng HM, Sy SM, Huen MS. An E2-guided E3 screen identifies the RNF17-UBE2U pair as regulator of the RIDDLE syndrome protein RNF168. J Biol Chem 2017; 292(3):967-978.
- Feng W, Guo Y, Huang J, Deng Y, Zang J, Huen MS. TRAIP regulates replication fork recovery and progression via PCNA. Cell Discovery 2016; 2:16016.
- Ng HM, Wei L, Lan L, Huen MS. The K63-Deubiquitylating enzyme BRCC36 limits DNA break processing and repair. J Biol Chem 2016; 291(31):16197-207.
- Guo Y, Feng W, Sy SM, Huen MS. ATM-dependent phosphorylation of the Fanconi anemia protein PALB2 promotes the DNA Damage Response. J Biol Chem 2015; 290(46):27545-56.
- Sy SM, Jiang J, O WS, Deng Y, Huen MS. The Ubiquitin Specific Protease USP34 promotes ubiquitin signaling at DNA double-strand breaks. Nucleic Acids Res 2013; 41(18):8572-80.
- Chen J, Feng W, Jiang J, Deng Y, Huen MS. Ring Finger Protein RNF169 antagonizes the ubiquitin-dependent signaling cascade at sites of DNA damage. J Biol Chem 2012; 278(33):27715-22.
- Lok GT, Sy SM, Dong S, Ching YP, Tsao SW, Thomson TM, Huen MS. Differential regulation of RNF8-mediated Lys48- and Lys63-based poly-ubiquitylation. Nucleic Acids Res 2012; 40(1): 196-205.
- Sy SM, Jiang J, Dong S, Lok GT, Wu J, Cai H, Yeung ES, Huang J, Chen J, Deng Y, Huen MS. Critical roles of Ring Finger Protein RNF8 in replication stress responses. J Biol Chem 2011; 286(25): 22355-22361.
- Huen MS, Huang J, Leung JW, Sy SM, Leung KM, Ching YP, Tsao SW, Chen J. Regulation of chromatin architecture by the PWWP domain-containing DNA damage responsive factor EXPAND1. Mol Cell 2010; 37:1-11. (Recommended by F1000Prime)
- Huen MS, Huang J, Yuan J, Yamamoto M, Akira S, Ashley C, Xiao W, Chen J. Non-canonical E2 variant-independent function of UBC13 in promoting checkpoint protein assembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28(19):6104-12.
- Huen MS, Sy SM, van Deursen JM, Chen J. Direct interaction between SET8 and PCNA couples H4-K20 methylation with DNA replication. J Biol Chem 2008; 283(17):11073-7.
- Huen MS, Grant R, Manke I, Minn K, Yu X, Yaffe MB, Chen J. RNF8 transduces the DNA-damage signal via histone ubiquitylation and checkpoint protein assembly. Cell 2007; 131(5):901-14. (Recommended by F1000Prime; Highlighted in Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol – DNA damage: Conducting repair; Highlighted in Nat Struct Mol Biol – DNA damage: ubiquitin marks the spot)
Commentaries & Reviews:
- Huen MS, Chen J. H1 provides the missing link. Cell Res 2016; 26(1):5-6
- Huen MS, Chen J. ATM creates a veil of transcriptional silence. Cell 2010; 141:924-6.
- Huen MS, Sy SM, Chen J. BRCA1 and its toolbox for the maintenance of genome integrity. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2010; 11(2):138-48.
- Huen MS, Chen J. Assembly of checkpoint and repair machineries at DNA damage sites. Trends Biochem Sci 2010; 35(2):101-8.
- Huen MS, Chen J. When loose ends finally meet. Nat Struct Mol Biol 2008;15(12):1241-2.
- Huen MS, Chen J. The DNA damage response pathways: at the crossroad of protein modifications. Cell Res 2008; 18(1):8-16.
- RGC-General Research Fund 2015/16 – Role of human ubiquitin machineries in DNA damage signaling and repair (Funded: HKD983,493)
- RGC-General Research Fund 2016/17 – Role of the USP7-RNF169 axis in DNA double-strand break responses (Funded: HKD935,623)
- RGC-General Research Fund 2017/18 – A study of TRAIP in replicative stress responses: Regulation and relevance to Seckel syndrome (Funded: HKD1,080,000)
- RGC-Collaborative Research Fund 2017/18 – A study of self-restraining mechanisms of DNA damage surveillance and repair (Funded: HKD6,273,062)
- RGC-General Research Fund 2018/19 – A study of MIRK in DNA damage response control (Funded: HKD952,560)
- Co-Chair, Gordon Research Conference - Genomic Instability 2020
- Co-Vice Chair Elected, Gordon Research Conference - Genomic Instability 2018
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award 2014-15, The University of Hong Kong
- Early Career Award 2012-13, Research Grant Council, Hong Kong
- Anna Fuller Fund Fellow 2007-2009, Yale University, Connecticut, USA
- Carman LEUNG (Senior Lab Technician)
- Chao DONG (PhD Student 2016-)
- Sherry LI (PhD Student 2018-)
- Xiao XUE (MPhil Student 2018-)
- Yu Ling WANG (FYP Student 2018-)
- Kyra TAN (Research Assistant 2019-)
Last updated: Feb 25, 2019