Professor HUEN, Michael Shing Yan 禤承恩
- BSc, MPhil (HKUST); PhD (HKU)
- Assistant Dean (Innovation and Technology), Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Minnesota, USA
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University, Connecticut, USA
DNA repair is fundamental to life. Failing to launch DNA repair in the right place at the right time leads to a wide range of devastating human diseases, including cancers and developmental disorders. Research in DNA repair mechanisms thus advances our understanding of the genetic bases of genome instability-associated human syndromes. As such, not only does DNA repair research aid in disease risk assessment, it also provides invaluable insight in rational drug design and discovery, as exemplified by the recent development of PARP inhibitors as promising therapeutics for the treatment of BRCA-related breast and ovarian cancers.
My research team is dedicated to understanding the molecular bases of DNA damage detection and repair processes. We work collaboratively using multi-disciplinary approaches to identify key players and events that drive genome integrity protection. Aside its direct implications in human health and disease, insight in the regulation of DNA repair also contributes to the operational framework of emerging methodologies in gene-editing and gene replacement therapies in the biotechnology industry.
- DNA Damage Detection and Repair Control
- Dong C, West KL, Tan XY, Li J, Ishibashi T, Yu CH, Sy SM, Leung JW, Huen MS. Screen identifies DYRK1B network as mediator of transcription repression on damaged chromatin. PNAS (In Press)
- Chen Y, Li J, Cao F, Lam J, Cheng CC, Yu CH, Huen MS. Nucleolar residence of the Seckel Syndrome protein TRAIP is coupled to ribosomal DNA transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 2018; 46(19): 10119-10131.
- An L, Dong C, Li J, Chen J, Yuan J, Huang J, Chan KM, Yu CH, Huen MS. RNF169 limits 53BP1 deposition at DSBs to stimulate single-strand annealing repair. PNAS 2018; 115(35): E8286-8295.
- An L, Jiang Y, Ng HH, Man EP, Chen J, Khoo US, Gong Q, Huen MS. Dual-utility NLS drives RNF169-dependent DNA damage responses. PNAS 2017; 114(4): E2872-2881.
- Guo Y, An L, Ng HM, Sy SM, Huen MS. An E2-guided E3 screen identifies the RNF17-UBE2U pair as regulator of the RIDDLE syndrome protein RNF168. J Biol Chem 2017; 292(3):967-978.
- Feng W, Guo Y, Huang J, Deng Y, Zang J, Huen MS. TRAIP regulates replication fork recovery and progression via PCNA. Cell Discovery 2016; 2:16016.
- Ng HM, Wei L, Lan L, Huen MS. The K63-Deubiquitylating enzyme BRCC36 limits DNA break processing and repair. J Biol Chem 2016; 291(31):16197-207.
- Guo Y, Feng W, Sy SM, Huen MS. ATM-dependent phosphorylation of the Fanconi anemia protein PALB2 promotes the DNA Damage Response. J Biol Chem 2015; 290(46):27545-56.
- Sy SM, Jiang J, O WS, Deng Y, Huen MS. The Ubiquitin Specific Protease USP34 promotes ubiquitin signaling at DNA double-strand breaks. Nucleic Acids Res 2013; 41(18):8572-80.
- Chen J, Feng W, Jiang J, Deng Y, Huen MS. Ring Finger Protein RNF169 antagonizes the ubiquitin-dependent signaling cascade at sites of DNA damage. J Biol Chem 2012; 278(33):27715-22.
- Lok GT, Sy SM, Dong S, Ching YP, Tsao SW, Thomson TM, Huen MS. Differential regulation of RNF8-mediated Lys48- and Lys63-based poly-ubiquitylation. Nucleic Acids Res 2012; 40(1): 196-205.
- Sy SM, Jiang J, Dong S, Lok GT, Wu J, Cai H, Yeung ES, Huang J, Chen J, Deng Y, Huen MS. Critical roles of Ring Finger Protein RNF8 in replication stress responses. J Biol Chem 2011; 286(25): 22355-22361.
- Huen MS, Huang J, Leung JW, Sy SM, Leung KM, Ching YP, Tsao SW, Chen J. Regulation of chromatin architecture by the PWWP domain-containing DNA damage responsive factor EXPAND1. Mol Cell 2010; 37:1-11.
- Huen MS, Huang J, Yuan J, Yamamoto M, Akira S, Ashley C, Xiao W, Chen J. Non-canonical E2 variant-independent function of UBC13 in promoting checkpoint protein assembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28(19):6104-12.
- Huen MS, Sy SM, van Deursen JM, Chen J. Direct interaction between SET8 and PCNA couples H4-K20 methylation with DNA replication. J Biol Chem 2008; 283(17):11073-7.
- Huen MS, Grant R, Manke I, Minn K, Yu X, Yaffe MB, Chen J. RNF8 transduces the DNA-damage signal via histone ubiquitylation and checkpoint protein assembly. Cell 2007; 131(5):901-14.
Commentaries & Reviews:
- Tan XY, Huen MS. Perfecting DNA double-strand break repair on transcribed chromatin. Essays Biochem 2020; EBC20190094.
- Huen MS, Chen J. H1 provides the missing link. Cell Res 2016; 26(1):5-6
- Huen MS, Chen J. ATM creates a veil of transcriptional silence. Cell 2010; 141:924-6.
- Huen MS, Sy SM, Chen J. BRCA1 and its toolbox for the maintenance of genome integrity. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2010; 11(2):138-48.
- Huen MS, Chen J. Assembly of checkpoint and repair machineries at DNA damage sites. Trends Biochem Sci 2010; 35(2):101-8.
- Huen MS, Chen J. When loose ends finally meet. Nat Struct Mol Biol 2008;15(12):1241-2.
- Huen MS, Chen J. The DNA damage response pathways: at the crossroad of protein modifications. Cell Res 2008; 18(1):8-16.
- RGC-General Research Fund 2017/18 – A study of TRAIP in replicative stress responses: Regulation and relevance to Seckel syndrome (Funded: HKD1,080,000)
- RGC-Collaborative Research Fund 2017/18 – A study of self-restraining mechanisms of DNA damage surveillance and repair (Funded: HKD6,273,062)
- RGC-General Research Fund 2018/19 – A study of MIRK in DNA damage response control (Funded: HKD952,560)
- NSFC-RGC Joint Research Scheme 2019/20 – The role of RNF169 in DNA double-strand break repair pathway choice and genome stability maintenance (Funded: HKD1,130,560)
- Co-Chair, Gordon Research Conference – Genomic Instability 2022
- Co-Vice Chair Elected, Gordon Research Conference - Genomic Instability 2018
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award 2014-15, The University of Hong Kong
- Early Career Award 2012-13, Research Grant Council, Hong Kong
- Anna Fuller Fund Fellow 2007-2009, Yale University, Connecticut, USA
- Carman Leung (Senior Lab Technician)
- Chao Dong (PhD Student 2016-)
- Xiao Xue (MPhil Student 2018-)
- Sherry Li (UPF PhD Student 2018-)
- Kyra Tan (HKPF PhD Student 2019-)
- Raissa Ng (HKPF PhD Student 2019-)
- Stephanie Leung (Student Research Assistant 2020-)
- Tina Wang (Research Assistant 2020-)
- Mengya Xu (Research Assistant 2020-)
Last updated: May 27, 2020