Dr CHU, Zhiqin 褚智勤 (joint appointment with Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering)
- BS (Northwest U, China); PhD (CUHK)
- Assistant Professor
- Precision Biosensing/Imaging; Diamond defects; Biophysics; Nanophotonics; and Materials-Biology Interface
Dr. Chu received his B.S. and PhD degrees all in Physics from Northwest University (China) and The Chinese University of Hong Kong, in July 2008 and July 2012, respectively. After one year as postdoctoral fellow in the same group, Dr. Chu carried out his postdoctoral research (2014/04-2016/09) at The University of Stuttgart (Germany). Since November 2018, Dr. Chu has been an Assistant Professor in Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Joint Appointment with School of Biomedical Sciences) at The University of Hong Kong. Dr. Chu received the Chen Ning Yang Scholarship from The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2012, and also The Finalist of Hong Kong Young Scientist Awards (under physics track) from The Hong Kong Institution of Science in 2013. Dr. Chu and his team also won a Silver Medal at the Special Edition 2022 Inventions Geneva Evaluation Days.
Research Group (PBB Lab: https://www.zqchu-pbblab.hku.hk/)
Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=BbneipIAAAAJ&hl=en)
The Precision Biosensing & Biophysics Laboratory is operating at the interfaces of physics, engineering, chemistry, biology and medicine. The lab is dedicated to innovating sensing and imaging techniques towards early diagnostic and personalized therapies, aiming at enhancing people’s quality of life.
The group are currently focusing on developing next-generation Precision Biosensing Techniques (e.g., quantum sensing through optically detected magnetic resonance) together with the state-of-the-art Smart Bioresponsive Sensors (e.g., hybrid quantum sensors), and applying them to study bio-related issues such as Bio-magnetism, Bio-mineralization and Bio-mechanics both in vitro and in vivo.
1. “Quantum-Enhanced Diamond Molecular Tension Microscopy for Quantifying Cellular Forces”, Feng Xu, et al., Zhiqin Chu*, arXiv:2306.15940 (2023).
2. “Widefield Diamond Quantum Sensing with Neuromorphic Vision Sensors”, Zhiyuan Du, et al., Zhiqin Chu*, arXiv:2306.14099 (2023).
3. “Manufacturing unclonable anti-counterfeiting labels using robust diamond microparticles on heterogeneous substrates”, Tongtong Zhang, et al., and Zhiqin Chu*, Nature Communications, 14, 2507 (2023).
4. “All-optical modulation of single defects in nanodiamonds: revealing rotational and translational motions in cell traction force fields”, Lingzhi Wang#, et al., and Zhiqin Chu*, Nano Letters, 22, 7714-7723 (2022). Selected as Cover.
5. “A versatile chipscope for label-free and real-time monitoring of live cell activities”, Yong Hou#, et al., and Zhiqin Chu*, Advanced Science, 9, 2200910, 2022.
6. “Soft Overcomes the Hard: Flexible Materials Adapt to Cell Adhesion to Promote Cell Mechanotransduction”, Qian Sun#, Yong Hou#, Zhiqin Chu*, Qiang Wei*, Bioactive Materials, 10, 397-404 (2022).
7. “High-Quality Diamond Microparticles Containing SiV Centers Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition with Preselected Seeds”, Tongtong Zhang#, et al., Zhiqin Chu*, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 10, 13734-13740 (2022). Selected as Cover.
8. “On-demand, direct printing of nanodiamonds at the quantum level”, Zhaoyi Xu, et al., Zhiqin Chu*, and Ji Tae Kim*, Advanced Science, 2022, 9, 2103598. Selected as Cover.
9. “Towards quantitative bio-sensing with nitrogen-vacancy center in diamond”, Tongtong Zhang#, et al., and Zhiqin Chu*, ACS Sensors, 2021, 6, 2077-2107. Selected as Cover.
10. “Optical imaging of localized chemical events using programmable diamond quantum nanosensors”, Torsten Rendler+, et al., Zhiqin Chu*, Petr Cigler*, Jörg Wrachtrup, Nature Communications, 2017, 8, 14701.
- “HKU Engineering team uses diamond microparticles to create high security anti-counterfeit labels” HKU Press Release on Jul 30, 2023 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/26421.html)
- “HKU engineering researchers develop breakthrough technology to measure rotational motion of cells” HKU Press Release on Oct 27, 2022 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/25280.html)
- “HKU Engineering team develops a novel photonic chipscope for label-free monitoring of live cell activities” HKU Press Release on Jun 16, 2022 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/24676.html)
- “HKU’s innovative research projects triumph at Special Edition 2022 Inventions Geneva Evaluation Days” HKU Press Release on Mar 29, 2022 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/24318.html)
- “Direct printing of nanodiamonds at the quantum level HKU Engineering makes breakthrough in quantum device manufacturing” HKU Press Release on Apr 24, 2022 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/24403.html)
- “HKU Engineering and Dentistry collaborative study reveals Nanodiamonds to be an effective agent in tackling oral infections” HKU Press Release on Sep 19, 2021 (https://www.hku.hk/press/press-releases/detail/23272.html)
- RGC GRF, No. 14306117, 01/2018-12/2020 (as PI)
- RGC ECS, No. 27202919, 01/2020-12/2022 (as PI)
- ITF Platform Project, No. ITS/293/19FP, 08/2020-07/2022 (as PI)
- RGC RMGS, No. 2073003130, 03/2020-02/2023 (as PI).
- ITF Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Funding Scheme (MHKJFS), No. MHP/070/20, 12/2022-12/2024 (Co-I)
- RGC CRF, No. C1015-21E, 06/2022-05/2025 (as Co-I)
- RGC GRF, No. 17122822, 01/2023-12/2025 (as Co-I)
- RGC TRS, No. T45-701/22-R, 01/2023-12/2027 (as Co-I)
- 2022: Emerging Investigator by Journal of Materials Chemistry C (RSC)
- 2022: Silver Medal, Inventions Geneva Evaluation Days
- 2013: Finalist of Hong Kong Young Scientist Awards under Physics track, Hong Kong
- 2012: Chen Ning Yang Scholarship, CUHK, Hong Kong
- “用鑽石做防偽? 港大研不可複製防偽標籤” 鳳凰秀
- “Researchers develop new technology to measure rotational motion of cells” Phys.org
- “A novel photonic chipscope for label-free monitoring of live cell activities” Phys.org
- “港大研新技術精準列印納米鑽石 助製量子器件” 頭條日報https://www.stheadline.com/article/3076783/%E6%B8%AF%E5%A4%A7%E7%A0%94%E6%96%B0%E6%8A%80%E8%A1%93%E7%B2%BE%E6%BA%96%E5%88%97%E5%8D%B0%E7%B4%8D%E7%B1%B3%E9%91%BD%E7%9F%B3-%E5%8A%A9%E8%A3%BD%E9%87%8F%E5%AD%90%E5%99%A8%E4%BB%B6
- “蛀牙｜港大研究發現 納米鑽石抑制口腔感染” am730https://www.am730.com.hk/news/%E5%81%A5%E5%BA%B7/%E8%9B%80%E7%89%99%EF%BD%9C%E6%B8%AF%E5%A4%A7%E7%A0%94%E7%A9%B6%E7%99%BC%E7%8F%BE-%E7%B4%8D%E7%B1%B3%E9%91%BD%E7%9F%B3%E6%8A%91%E5%88%B6%E5%8F%A3%E8%85%94%E6%84%9F%E6%9F%93-285428